About the role:
We are an unusual business, whose business as usual is bringing thousands of new affordable homes into management. We will be acquiring 20,000 new rented and shared ownership homes by 2022 from our developer partners all over the country and so a key part of our business is to focus on the new home experience and that means managing defects brilliantly.
This new role as our Defects Surveyor is a great opportunity for a motivated individual to join our talented Customer Service Team and be responsible for the technical management of our defects and assist with the aftercare service offered to residents.
It is a hands-on role, where you will work closely with colleagues and act as our lead expert on defects, including monitoring and managing defects. You will also lead on escalated or very technical cases and any latent defects which arise and require a methodical, specialist approach as well as getting timely and responsive results from our developer partners.
You will bring your knowledge and experience of dealing with varied and complex new home issues, to ensure Sage deal with defects brilliantly.
Alongside the practical focus of this role, you will play a strategic role in assisting us continuously improve our processes for managing defects and providing brilliant services to our residents. This will include assisting to develop our information for our residents and staff to inform understanding of defects and how they can and should be resolved. You will also provide clear and accurate reporting on defect volumes and trends to inform performance assessment of our developer partners and to assist with planning our future acquisitions and our asset strategy to maintain our homes.
Key duties include:
- Provide technical advice and expertise on defect issues which occur in Sage properties and propose appropriate resolution, including challenging developer aftercare teams where matters should be dealt with by the developer.
- Manage a caseload of disputed, complex or ‘open’ defects, liaising with colleagues, residents and developer aftercare teams to progress cases, provide regular updates and bring them to a timely and satisfactory conclusion.
- Monitor and ensure Sage and its agents are effectively identifying and reporting defects and create guidance and information to colleagues to assist them increase their knowledge and understanding.
- Create for Sage residents, including Shared Owners clear guidance information on defects and how they can effectively maintain their homes to avoid maintenance and defects.
- Review and continuously improve Sage’s defect management approach and processes, to ensure they are being identified and resolved effectively and we provide residents with the highest level of service in dealing with their defects.
- Review and continuously improve Sage’s monitoring and reporting of defects, to provide insight into trends on the quality of our homes which will; identify improvements in the project management and handover process, inform Sage’s acquisitions strategy and our asset strategy for their long-term maintenance.
- Work closely with Sage’s Project Management Team to ensure that the handover and snagging process is effectively followed and ensure a preventative approach is taken to minimising defects and ensuring Sage acquires quality homes.
- Lead on dispute resolution with developers regarding defects and disputed responsibility. Identify solutions to resolve disputes and use a range of solutions, including appointing alternative contractors to resolve matters.
- Analyse quotes and reports to make sure Sage achieve value for money and implement the correct solutions.
- Seek appropriate support from surveyors and specialist contractors where necessary; and take overall responsibility for ensuring solutions are delivered quickly, effectively, economically and to the resident’s satisfaction.
- Establish excellent working relationships across Sage and with key external stakeholders to best achieve the role and support colleagues in their roles to achieve Sage’s collective strategic priorities.
- Provide information and assurance to Sage’s Management Team, to in turn provide assurance to our investors, Board, Exec and other key stakeholders. This includes providing both regular and ad-hoc reports to a range of audiences.
- Be responsible for your own health and safety, for adhering to Sage’s Health and Safety policies and for your colleagues.
- The ideal candidate should have experience in a similar or building surveyor profession.
- Good knowledge of building construction and maintenance and good knowledge and experience of building defect diagnosis and disrepairs.
- A full UK Driving License.
- Experience in developing and implementing processes for effective defects management
- Acting efficiently and pro-actively within defined decision-making processes.
- You are organised and efficient with your time and self-manage, whilst being comfortable asking for help or guidance when you need it
- You are self-driven, accountable and embrace change and opportunity
- You’re pro-active and take a creative approach to relationship-building and problem solving
- You are decisive whilst working at a quick pace
- You have a natural customer focus and it is a consideration in all that you do
- You are self-assured and tenacious as a lot of what you’ll be doing will be following up with colleagues and/or third parties such as management companies or developers.
A higher education qualification (e.g. Degree) and/ or substantial relevant experience.
If you are interested in the role, please e-mail your CV to email@example.com.